Monday, March 10, 2008

score

Entrepreneurs are adept at solving problems without spending a whole lot of money. You can always pay a consultant to analyze your obstacles and prioritize important considerations, and there are times you should use them, but consultants are never cheap! That’s why I would suggest to anyone starting a new business to visit SCORE. They provide free advice to fledgling companies. Walk in with a business plan or carrying only your idea, and they’ll help you lay out what steps you should be looking toward next.

What is their motivation? I don’t really know. It seems to be full of individuals who truly just enjoy helping others, who find satisfaction in sharing their ages of business experience. SCORE is a division of the federal government’s Small Business Administration. Their acronym gives a decent description of their purpose : Service Corps of Retired Executives. So one of their potential motivations…. boredom. These guys have spent their careers in business, they’ve succeeded (and probably failed a few times too) and now simply want to be involved in something new. These retired leaders miss the energy and hopefulness of young entrepreneurs which once filled their days and late nights.

I met with two SCORE representatives last Friday. Just to make sure our business plan makes sense, just to find an objective ear to provide feedback. I had to do a lot of explaining about ecommerce and the amusement machine market, but I wasn’t there for their insight about games. Does our budget make sense? Is there anything we’re forgetting? Sometimes just speaking your ideas out loud to an experienced businessperson will help you see more clearly into your own thoughts.

Take their advice, toss it aside, see them once or a once a week. Whatever works for you. With a free valuable resource at the waiting, I just suggest trying it out.

No comments: